The chapel was restructured by the architect Carlo Maciachini in 1852 in the Neo-Gothic style of the period with notable balance and compositional unity.
The altar, flanked by fluted pilasters and surmounted by a cornice of small, hanging, trefoil arches, has a small tabernacle in the centre with the symbols of the Sacred Heart on the door. The elevation is composed of a complex, elegant, Neo-Gothic, marble construction with a pointed arch and spire-like pillars, the fluting of which has decorative vegetal inserts. Other down-sloping spires with statues on top can be seen above the arch.
The altarpiece, dedicated to the Sacred Heart and painted at the end of 1800, has been attributed to Luigi Morgari. It depicts St. Luigi Gonzaga kneeling in the foreground, wearing a soutane and surplice and with the Book of the Rule, the lash and a crown; Christ, displaying His Sacred Heart, is in the upper register.
Luigi Morgari also painted the saints linked by devotion to the Sacred Heart on the side walls: Francis De Sales, Claude, Gertrude and Marie Alacoque.
The marble balustrade with wrought-iron decoration is Milanese craftsmanship dating to the first half of the 19th.century.